Helpful Relocating Tips
If your upcoming relocation has you feeling a bit overwhelmed, there are ways to make the transition easier. One way to ease your mind during the process is to make a list of everything that needs to be done. The following are some helpful tips for a successful relocation:
- Make a separate calendar for your moving tasks. Use it to develop an eight-week plan. This is the minimum planning time needed for a stress-free relocation.
- Obtain a floor plan of your new home. Based on the size of the new place, decide what you will take with you and what you will have to leave behind.
- Start cleaning out junk drawers, linen closets, the basement and attic. Don't pack and move things that you don't use.
- Start a file with all your moving information such as receipts and important contact numbers.
- Ask your friends for referrals of reliable moving companies, and then call for estimates.
- Start collecting boxes and begin packing nonessential items.
- Subscribe to the local newspaper in your new town. This is a good way to become familiar with the community before you arrive.
- Contact utility companies, the post office and others to inform them of the move and provide them with your new address.
- Call the visitor and tourism center in your new area to request maps and other important information.
- A few days before the move, pack a first-night kit to take with you in the car. Suggested items include a coffeemaker, flashlight, blankets, pillows, towels, toiletries, pans, easy-to-cook canned food, a can opener, paper plates, trash bags and toilet paper.
- On the day of the move, pack essentials in your car. These items may include such things as the dog's leash and food, the first-night kit mentioned above, your child's favorite toys, prescription medicine, and other items you cannot be without.